Monday, March 7, 2011

Fruit Rainbow with a "Pot of Gold"


St. Patrick's Day is coming up people! We're determined to get some kid-friendly crafting in during the next two weeks. Shamrocks, leprechauns, and rainbows oh my!


We started off our festivities with snack time. While I can't say it's an actual craft per se, it's easy, tons of fun for little ones - and healthy eating at the same time. Who could resist this fruity rainbow with marshmallow clouds and banana slice gold coins?

Just the "craft" project I needed for our manic Monday.



Shop for fruits that represent the 6 colors of the rainbow; Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple. We used strawberries, orange slices, cut up fresh pineapple, peeled kiwi, blueberries, and red (purple) grapes. Banana slices made up our pot of gold. We soaked them in lemon juice so they wouldn't turn brown.

You can mix this up with any items you might find at the grocery store. Red apples, green grapes, purple plums, canned mandarin orange slices, orange-ish peach slices. Really, you're only limited by your imagination.

Happy snacking!

Simple Mama

6 comments:

  1. Oh I so wish we could do this! Marah can't eat any fruits but bananas and apples. We did reintroduce grapes recently so as of now those are okay. Beautiful snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I so badly want to eat that beautiful masterpiece (Ok so id love to have a fruit rainbow and keep it forever but for some reason I dont think the snacky goodness would last too long here) What a fun craft, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this reminder!!! This will be great to do next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, yum!

    If I attempted such a craft project with Mimi, the end result would look like confetti all over my floor with only the marshmallows missing from the picture. They'd be safely tucked in Mimi's tummy.

    Beautiful. Now, when can I come over? I want you to be my new best friend forever. FOREVER. Okay, I'm done with the stalker mode for now. Until tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY! Almost too goos to eat!!! We usually go with just greens for snack on St Patricks Day but this is a wonderful idea so I think we will make a rainbow this year! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making this for our New Years party tonight!!! The kids can't wait to help. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete